A daily journal concerning Lake Vermilion and surrounding areas.
Selected real estate, notes, stories, musings, and anecdotes.

The Happiest People In Real Estate.

June 9, 2011

A less than healthy real estate marketplace is a powerful force whose direction and speed is not easily altered.

And within the current anemic market there is frustration and anxiety that is shared by both Buyers and Sellers.  A real estate business person, like myself, often has the perspective to appreciate, understand, and maybe even empathize with the positions of both sides.

There is a group within this market who are content with their position.  Who are these satisfied people?  How have they found this happy place within the real estate market?

Maybe it’s not surprising but these happy and satisfied people are Buyers who have bought.

I have first hand knowledge of this.  It’s pretty much a predictable story.

Successful buyers are happy because they followed through.  They put a plan together, they stayed on task, and they met their goal.

These folks were not overly concerned about the right timing, the absolute best value, or perfect circumstances.  They did their homework, they put in the time, they made decisions, they acted, and they moved on.

They are happy because they have replaced the challenging process of real estate buying with time spent with family and friends at their new cabin, home, or land.

I wish happiness upon everyone involved in our local real estate market!

6 Comments »

1. I couldn’t agree more with your post, people seem almost too obsessed with trying to find the bottom of the market, and could miss out on so much while waiting. And then what they really wanted may not be available. I remember talking about this with you when I was looking for my lot, and 15 months after buying it, I believe it even more. Thanks

Comment by Jim H. — June 10, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

2. Thanks much, Jim!

Comment by Bill — June 10, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

3. On the other hand it can be really depressing to see the value of recently purchased property drop by 10s of thousands of dollars and realize that one could have had a nicer property for the same budget.

According to the assessor, lakeshore has dropped by 30-40% in the last few years on our part of Vermilion.

Do you find that to be true?

Comment by Del C. — June 13, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

4. Lake Vermilion, like other large lakes, has numerous property categories and even “neighborhoods”. A 30-40% drop in market value is certainly possible dependent upon the area of the lake, the type of property, and the validity of the starting and ending market values used to calculate the reduction. I believe it’s a good idea for any Buyer or Seller to go to multiple sources, beyond the County assessed market values, when trying to establish current and reasonable value.

The partial point of the post was to suggest that the majority of the correction has been realized over the last 3-4 years. Buyers should take advantage of the larger than normal reduced price inventory and convert their research efforts into a purchase. Of course, that should not be regarded as universal advice. Each Buyer (and Seller) situation is unique.

Thanks, Del!

Comment by Bill — June 13, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

5. I also think that “people seem almost too obsessed with trying to find the bottom of the market, and could miss out on so much while waiting.” to agree with Jim H”. Guess I got beat to the punch!!

Comment by Jo Amick — June 15, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

6. […] I know there are folks who have make this time their decision time.  And… I know they’re happy they did because I wrote about it one year ago. […]

Pingback by Once Again. « Lake Vermilion Real Estate — May 31, 2012 @ 11:37 am